Pages

Episode 1: New Beginnings, Part I

RMrulz
Jun 1 2003, 03:23 PM





Admiral Tom Garrison's Log Entry

"Admiral's Personal Log, Stardate.... oh who cares:

What a mess! The Federation is turning itself into a joke!

Okay, I should take it from the beginning, I guess. I wake up this morning and Starfleet Command has a message waiting for me. Before my morning workout, before my breakfast, before even a hot cup of coffee, I read that Starfleet, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to close Utopia Planitia Shipyards.

I couldn't believe it when I read those words. Utopia Planitia shipyards have stood for centuries as the pillar of Starfleet's ship construction. Every famous ship I can think of was built there, and they produce more vessels in one year than the entire Klingon Empire, with all of its various shipyards.

But, beyond all that, I guess what I'm really upset about is that they never even asked me. I am supposed to be the Fleet Commander, the guy in charge of every single Starfleet vessel currently in service. So it only seems natural that they would consult with me before deciding to close down the place where the majority of those vessels are being built. I tried fighting it, but I think Starfleet Command was expecting my objections. I couldn't get a single officer above the rank of Lieutenant to take my calls today - it was very obvious they were avoiding me.

So, I plan to fight this. I have no idea how, but I will fight it. Don't get me wrong, part of me understands why they are doing this. The Federation controls so little space, it is unnecessary to keep building so many ships, there just isn't enough space to fly them in! But at the same time, this sends a very clear signal to the Alliance, it says we are giving up. Without Utopia Planitia, there is no way we could ever keep up building ships in a war with the Alliance. Even if the Bajorans and the Klingons were on our side, we would be no match with Utopia Planitia shut down. Even with it operating, the odds would be against us. I have to wonder if Starfleet has even considered what kind of message this will send to the Alliance. And for that matter, I wonder if this is a sign they are actually considering surrendering, or "joining the Alliance," to use the more politically correct term.

On a completely unrelated note, I've received word that the
U.S.S. Domtar, a transport and scout/patrol vessel, has gone missing somewhere near what used to be the Romulan Neutral Zone. The last communication with them occurred when they were only about half a parsec away from Alliance space, so I can only assume the worst. Once the new Captain of the station, Captain David Major, arrives on the station tomorrow I'm going to send him and his new crew out on the Pollux to try to locate them. Two of the officers that were supposed to be transferring to this Starbase, Lt. Commander K'Rak and Lt. T'Kila, were both aboard the Domtar. I can only hope we will find them, along with everybody else on that ship, alive. But like I said, I can only assume the worst."


Admiral's Office


"I'm sorry sir - there's nothing I can do."

Garrison stared at his viewscreen in frustration. He had been trying to talk to one of his fellow Admirals from Command all day, and not one of them had bothered to get in touch with him. It was so obvious they were avoiding him, they just didn't want to deal with his objections about closing down Utopia Planitia. He regarded the young Lieutenant on his screen.

"Lieutenant. You tell your boss that I called, again. Tell him I expect, no tell him I demand to speak with him soon. Garrison out." He punched the viewscreen as the UFP logo appeared.

"Operations Command to Garrison. Captain Major has arrived on the station," the voice of some random officer currently in charge of the Operations Command Center, known as the OC, informed him.

"Acknowledged. Have him report up to the OC. I'll be there shortly." With that, he stood up and stretched his aching muscles. Spending the entire day talking to Lieutenants and other low-ranking officers at Starfleet Command had made him very tense, and he was very stiff. Straightening his uniform, he exited his office into a corridor. Unlike the Captain, who actually commanded the OC, Garrison's office wasn't directly off it, but down a corridor in a suite of executive offices. Among others, Fleet Captain Drayson Hardgrove and Ambassador Michael Larkin had offices here.

He walked down the corridor, reached a large set of glass doors at the end. They opened as he neared, and he stepped out into the OC. It was a large room, through which basically all of the operations of Starbase 001 were controlled. It had a very high ceiling, with several secondary stations on the upper level of the OC, around the perimeter of the room. All in all, it was a very impressively designed room, it gave the feeling that a great many things were going on at once in this room.

Garrison stood off to one side, awaiting the arrival of Captain Major. Glancing at a station, he saw there were a large number of Starfleet vessels all docking, or in a holding pattern to dock as soon as the way was cleared of other vessels. Probably all of the new officers arriving... he thought to himself.
Joshua
Jun 7 2003, 06:40 PM




Ensign Othoniel Ephraim Rasin - U.S.S. Concord

Ensign Rasin sat in a room -- a spare crew quarters waiting for his arrival to Starbase 001. He knew that he would not have much time to himself, but after getting all of his affairs in order on Earth he was tired. He closed his eyes unsure of how he felt moving off of earth, out of what he knew, and into something new, a starbase. What he was sure of, though, was the yearning to prove himself to his new colleagues. He wanted to-- no, he had to prove that he could do a sufficient job. He needed their respect.

Taking a deep breath he picked up his bag on the floor, that he insisted on bringing personally to the station, and headed towards the hatch where he would soon meet the new crew.
Spork
Jun 7 2003, 09:14 PM




Lieutenant Commander Tanik - Operations Command Center

Lieutenant Commander Tanik, the new Romulan Chief of Engineering, walked through the door to the OC. He noticed several sideways glances from the officers manning their stations, and they were apparently trying to be subtle. You'd think I'd be used to it after eight years... I guess it's one of those things I may never adapt to here.

He shrugged it off, and continued to the man in the middle of the room, obviously in command. He noted his rank pips from a distance and was somewhat puzzled. A little too prompt, you dolt! He froze for a second, wondering how to handle the situation. Oh, well. Better go to him anyway, I guess. Heck, he might be impressed.

"Admiral, Lieutenant Commander Tanik, reporting for duty, sir."

The Admiral looked up from the display he was watching, somewhat startled by the sudden intrusion.

"Ah, Lieutenant Commander. I'm Admiral Tom Garrison. Er..." He stumbled for a second. "You should really report to Captain Major. I am not really part of the command structure of the starbase. He handles affairs like that."

"Where may I find him, sir?" Tanik asked, the question he had on his mind the whole time.

"He hasn't checked in yet. You're quite early."

Tanik looked around for a second, wondering how to proceed. Just as I feared! "We Romulans like to be punctual, sir."

Garrison looked at him contemplatively, "So do I, Lieutenant Commander."

Tanik almost made an audible gulp. Finally giving up in frustration, he asked, "So... now what?"

For the first time since Tanik surprised him, the Admiral eased up, and chuckled mildly. "I'll have a yeoman show you to your quarters. When the Captain comes aboard, I'll call you up. Dismissed," he said with a half grin.

"Yes, sir." Tanik walked out the door.

Garrison stood there, looking at the space where Tanik was earlier. He didn't know what to make of him. Sighing, he shook his head, and looked back at the screen.
tucker
Jun 7 2003, 09:48 PM



Captain David Major - Starbase 001 - Admiral Garrison's Office
  New Beginnings and old friends

David tapped the control by the door to the Admiral's office.

"Enter" came the gruff voice from within. As the doors slid open with the distinctive whir, the Admiral looked up from his desk and smiled. "Welcome David! How was your trip?" The two men shook hands vigorously before David sat down.

"Rather boring sir," Major chuckled. "I spent the entire 5 hours reviewing teraquad upon teraquad of status reports and crew profiles. Talk about some deep reading - I never knew that 001 was the only Starfleet starbase to ever have blue carpets." He grinned.

"Ah, reviewing only the crucial information I see" Garrison laughed. "I'll be sure to mention your fine taste in my report to Starfleet Command." Suddenly the admiral's smile turned to a frown. "Or what's left of it."

"How is the status of the Federation? I've only heard scattered accounts of what's going on, but It almost sounds like the council is thinking of actually joining the Alliance!"

"I wish I could say it wasn't true" Tom sighed. "But with every passing day it comes closer and closer. I've been trying non-stop for the past two weeks to try and get through to the command on earth, but it seems as though they're personally making a point of avoiding me. I'll be frank with you David. I'm worried about what it's going to come to. The alliance is growing in power with every day, Soon we won't even be able to hold what sectors we have now." Garrison stood up, and stared out the view port. "I'm trying David, I really am, but this is getting out of my league."

David's mind scrambled for something to say. "Sir, I'm sure you're doing everything you can, as will I and the rest of the crew. We'll fight this to the end."

"I hope so David, I hope so."
RMrulz
Jun 7 2003, 10:12 PM




Admiral Tom Garrison - Office

After a pause for a moment or two, Tom turned back around and faced David.

"And if that wasn't depressing enough, I'm afraid that I have some more bad news for you." He handed David a PADD from his desk, containing the specs for the U.S.S. Domtar

"About a week ago, Starfleet lost contact with the U.S.S. Domtar. Scout and transport ship, low-warp capabilities, minimal weapons and defense. It was traveling awfully close to Alliance space, out by what used to be the Romulan Neutral Zone."

"Sir, we lost contact a week ago?"

"I know what you're going to say, David. We should have sent a ship out there long before letting an entire week go by. And I agree... but, well, there just aren't enough ships out there. Starfleet hasn't really been building any new ones, and we keep losing them to decommissioning and to these skirmishes with the Alliance. I'm the Fleet Commander of a pretty pathetic fleet at the moment....." His voice trailed off, his thoughts returning to the fight he was going to have to undertake regarding Utopia Planitia.

Shaking those thoughts off, he returned to the conversation. "Anyway, two of your new officers were onboard. Lt. Commander K'Rak and Lt. T'Kila. They were traveling aboard the Domtar from their last postings. As soon as your new crew arrives, I want you to take the Pollux out. See if you can find them."

David nodded. "Aye, sir." He paused for a moment, then continued. "Permission to speak freely, sir?"

"Always, David."

"I'll go out there, somebody has to. But after a week? I don't know sir... I just don't expect to find anything."

"Neither do I, David. Neither do I. But we still have to try."

David nodded. The two men sat in silence for a moment, then David spoke. "I'm sure you have a lot to do, plus I've got a new crew to meet. If there's nothing else.....?"

Garrison nodded. "No, nothing else. Go meet your crew, we'll talk more later."

Tom watched David walk out the door. He sighed, and turned his chair so that he was facing out the window. Staring out at all the stars, he was trying hard not to become too pessimistic about the situation.
Captain Archer
Jun 7 2003, 10:22 PM




Ambassador Michael Larkin - On route to Starbase 001

"ETA, Ensign?" Larkin asked the young man.

"Twenty minutes, Ambassador and we'll be docked."

Twenty minutes, and I'll be closer to Earth than I've been in six months.

"So what's it like out there?" the ensign asked him, not being in the mood for small talk he acted like he didn't hear him. "Sir?"

"Not like it use to be Ensign, that's for sure, I can remember being told stories by my father of how the Federation use to encompass hundreds of worlds, and a vast fleet. Now we've been reduced to a third-class power. Hell power, that would imply some influence in the quadrant." He decided to save the rest of his opinions for someone who would appreciate them, he didn't want to damage this young man's perception of the Federation either, well, anymore than it probably already is, as he looked at him he couldn't help but wonder if he really understood what was going on outside of the Federation borders, freighters being attacked, crew's being taken hostage, vessels disappearing all because of the Alliance.

As he considered his own words, he thought about the closing of Utopia Planitia, those shipyards have built some of the Federation's most famous starships. He couldn't help but wonder if he was looking at the end of the Federation. "I just hope the Admiral can save it," he whispered to himself.

Just then the comm panel beeped "Starbase 001 to Shuttlecraft 9."

"Shuttle 9 here, go ahead 001."

"You're cleared for docking approach upper docking bay."

"Acknowledged." Larkin looked out the view port at the glistening blue waters of his home, it's never looked so beautiful, as his eyes traced upward, he caught his first sight of the Starbase, one of the last remaining links to a long lost era and humanities last hope against an intractable enemy.

The shuttle snaked around the base and the pilot was about to turn in to the docking port when the Ambassador almost shouted, "Take another pass of the starbase."

He was in awe.

"Yes, sir."

"Do you know what this represents, Ensign?" he paused for a moment.

The young ensign looked at him out of the corner of his eye. "Yes, sir," he said proudly. "It's our last hope. If this station should ever fall, we will have lost everything."

"Don't ever forget that," Larkin said to him. They finally pulled into the bay and docked, Larkin stood and grabbed his luggage. "Thanks for the ride Ensign. You've got a long trip back. You better be going."

"Yes, sir. Good luck, sir."

"Thank you." Larkin walked through the docking port and into the huge starbase looking for a turbolift. He went through a few corridors and passed a window, looking out he saw an unusual number of starships waiting to dock.


Starbase 001


He started walking without looking and ran into a Lieutenant "I'm sorry. Hey could you tell me where I might find a turbolift?" he asked the officer.

"Just up that hall, sir, on the left."

"Thanks."

As the lift doors opened he saw a Romulan officer waiting on the lift. "Commander." He had read the personnel files the Admiral had sent him but his name escaped him.

"Tanik. And, you are?"

"Ambassador Michael Larkin. Good to meet you."

"Likewise. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to see my new quarters."

"Nice to meet you, Commander," he repeated before walking off towards Admiral Garrison's office. He then ran into Captain Major. He looked in a hurry, so Larkin just gave the Captain a nod.

He reached the Admiral's office and pressed the door chime. "Come in."

Larkin stepped in and shook hands with the Admiral, "Admiral, good to meet you in person." Larkin didn't like to waste time so he thought it would be best to get started. "I hear we have a problem with Utopia Planitia?"
Joshua
Jun 8 2003, 01:45 PM




Ensign Rasin - Just Outside of Captain Major's Office

As Ensign Rasin was outside of Captain Major's office he checked to make sure he looked perfect. I probably should fix my hair, I do not want to look too fresh from the academy Ensign Rasin touched the pad just outside of the door to signal the captain that someone wanted to see him.

"Enter," came the voice from inside.

He walked into the office as the doors automatically opened.

"Ensign Rasin, reporting for duty, sir," he stated.

"At ease," the Captain said, a matter of factly. "How are you, Ensign?"

"I am doing alright, Captain. Thank you for asking."

"The Domtar is missing," the Captain blurted after brushing off the "thank you."

"The ship? Do you want me to go with an away team?" asked Ensign Rasin, curiously.

"No. You don't have any experience in that area, but I want you to be apprised of the situation and to keep your eyes open. Your job as Counselor entails more then just giving the crew advice. It includes giving me any knowledge that you possess that could help. Keep your eyes open."

"Yes, sir," Ensign Rasin said, seriously.

"Now, if you will excuse me, I have many things that I need to get in order."

"Yes, sir. Good luck, sir."

Well that was an interesting first meeting. Rasin walked to his quarters where he searched the archives for any information that might help him learn more about the current situation with the disappearance of the Domtar.
Hawku
Jun 9 2003, 03:08 PM





Lieutenant Rune Sith - The Deck

Sith stepped off a turbolift and onto what was known as The Deck. This was going to be his workplace. Full of commotion and trades people, he passed alien after Federation officer after civilian. He'd never seen so many people in one place.

"Whoa." Sith gaped at the enormity of The Deck. He had already visited his quarters. Sitting on his shoulder appeared to be a strange device of some sort.

The Deck was four high levels of shops and restaurants and a huge vertical space in the middle. Bridges crossed from one side to the other and lifts carried people up and down. He wanted to check out the Bolian bar.

"One thakilan. I heard those were great here," Sith ordered when he got to the bar. He was out of uniform at the moment, appearing civilian. After this drink he was going to get dressed, as he was scheduled to meet his superior officers. The device on his shoulder *clicked!* in excitement.

"So what do you think, Zeta?" Sith asked it. Then it popped up on his shoulder with eight long metallic legs. It was a robotic spider.

*Click, click. Whoa.* Zeta mimicked Sith's earlier remark.

"Utopia Planitia's gone!!" A drunken officer cried out to someone sitting near him at a table. "My friend and I were going to submit schematic ideas for a new type starship but now we won't even have a chance!" He smashed his drink on the floor and got up, grabbing the guy near him. "You fool! There's no future for us now!!"

"Let go of me!" the other guy struggled.

Sith ignored his drink and walked over. "Hold on a second. Let's keep things in order here."

The officer, Carley, threw the other guy back and then grabbed Sith's shirt collar in anger. "Don't tell me what to do!"

Sith knocked Carley's arm to the side and quickly grabbed Carley's other arm, spinning him around. He held Carley's arm back so that he couldn't move.

"Alright, alright! I just need-- to get some rest." Sith let the drunken Carley go as he stumbled out the Bar.

*Chirp, click-- some... rest.* Zeta mimicked, his voice like a parrot.

"Hard times," Sith observed.

Sith made his way around The Deck to the offices section. There were two offices, one for his superior, Lieutenant Commander K'Rak, and one for himself. He looked through the glass doors finding K'Rak not in his Office. "That's weird. He told me last week to meet him here today."

Confused, he left to meet his other crewmates and the Captain.
tucker
Jun 9 2003, 10:19 PM



Captain David Major - Starbase 001
  Meeting the Forces

David stepped out onto the 'Deck', and marveled at the sheer mass of people moving here and there, standing, sitting, talking and the like. Snapping out of his daze, he turned left and headed for his destination.

He had ordered a senior staff meeting, and while this was the long way to the conference room, he felt a need to see as much of the starbase as possible. Entering the command wing, David greeted a couple crewmen standing in the corridor, and entered the conference room.

"At Ease" he commanded as he took his chair at the head of the table. "Welcome to Starbase 001." He glanced around the table, making eye contact with every officer there. "I'm Captain David Major, although I suspect most of you already knew that." He grinned. "I hope you have all taken the time to meet each other, if not there will be plenty of time to do so in the coming days. However, at the moment we have a more pressing matter."

David stood up and tapped the panel directly behind his seat.

"This is the U.S.S. Domtar. It's a cargo and personnel transport, minimal shielding and weapons. As you may have noticed, there are a couple seats empty. Our Chief Science officer, Lieutenant J.G. T'Kila, and our chief tactical officer, Lieutenant Commander K'Rak are both on the Domtar, which was scheduled to dock here at Starbase 001 a week ago. It never made it's appointment. The Admiral has ordered us to take the Pollux out, search for the Domtar, and bring her back. Any questions?"

David scanned the room looking for any signs of confusion. He saw none.

"Very well then. I want the Domtar ready for launch in fourty-eight hours. I expect you all have a lot of work to do. Dismissed."

One by one the filed out, some saying a word or two of congratulations on the promotion before they left. He caught his new First Officer by the arm before she exited.

"Commander Halliwell," he smiled. "May I see you in my office?"
RMrulz
Jun 9 2003, 11:41 PM



Admiral Tom Garrison - Office

Tom stared at Ambassador Larkin, a bit taken aback by his question. Recovering, he opened his mouth to speak. "How.... I was under the impression that was still classified information. How do you know that?"

Michael just smiled. "Considering my position, I have a few contacts in high places. I'd like to think you and I develop a successful working relationship, so that you become another 'contact in high places' of mine. And besides, word is spreading quickly. It is just too hard to keep something like this a secret."

That was a comment one could take offense to. But Michael had a way of speaking, of saying things, that completely defused any hostility one might feel. He did not mean to be overconfident, or arrogant, he was simply stating a fact. "As do I, Ambassador. Although I don't know how 'highly placed' I am anymore. I've been trying to reach Starfleet Command for almost a day now, but they are dodging my every call. I'm considering paying a visit to San Francisco myself."

Michael sat back, and thought for a moment. "Well, I have quite a few favors owed to me. If you're not having any luck with the official channels, perhaps I can try something a bit more unofficial. We have to find a way to convince Starfleet to keep Utopia Planitia open."

"Yes, we do. If it closes down, the Federation is doomed. There is no mistaking that, it is finished. The Alliance will either launch an outright attack, or we will join them ourselves within a year."

They both paused for a moment, considering the implications of the words Tom just spoke. Michael stood up. "Well, if you will excuse me, Admiral, I will get to work. My office is just down the corridor, and I'll be in touch if I get anywhere."

"Please, call me Tom. You're in a position where you've earned it. And I'll also contact you if I make any progress."

Michael nodded, then turned and left the office.


The Deck

An hour later, Tom was sitting in one of the restaurants on The Deck, off to one corner of the large area. He hadn't eaten all day, and wasn't all that hungry, but decided to force himself to eat something. Besides, he really needed to get out of his office for awhile. There were only so many times he could try, and fail, to contact his friends... or at least the people he thought were his friends.... at Command before he started to go crazy. Watching the multitude of people going about their business, he began to formulate a plan in his head.
Kelly
Jun 10 2003, 05:14 AM




Commander Samantha Halliwell ~ Conference room

Halliwell looked to captain for a brief moment, she remained quiet. She couldn't stop thinking about the possibilities of what had happened to the Domtar, she couldn't really help herself to tell the truth.

"Commander?"

She looked back to Major, suddenly realizing she hadn't answered him yet, "Sorry sir," she answered, "Just thinking, sure what do you want to talk to me about?"

Major walked over to the door of the conference room and indicated for Halliwell to follow him, she quickly caught up with him and did so a they made their way to Major's office.
Minigee
Jun 10 2003, 04:32 PM



Gao Gent-al - Sick Bay

Sitting in his office Gao was polishing one of the many hypo sprays sitting on the med cart... " Wow this is some fun polishing.
Hawku
Jun 10 2003, 05:42 PM




Lieutenant Rune Sith - U.S.S. Pollux, Bridge

Sith entered the Bridge of the U.S.S. Pollux and went over to tactical, accessing the internal registry. An Ensign was at a panel behind him, working.

"Uh, you're going to need a passcode for Class 5 systems, sir." Ensign Lorenzo walked over and fixed the settings on the tactical console. "It's just temporary, before we launch."

"Oh, thanks, Ensign." Sith continued scrolling through directories. "I just have to release a few security prefixes for the lower decks."

"I really hope we find the Domtar alright. I've served with Lieutenant T'Kila before. She's really great. Not your average Vulcan."

Sith nodded to this. "If the Alliance was responsible for this... The Alliance isn't really the best of organizations. I've had way too many run-ins with them in the past. If they had anything to do with this, you can be sure I'll personally be there to take them."

He stopped tapping at the panels, feeling his jaded emotion. Serving the U.S.S. Vitality, he had encountered pushy Breen and Cardassian ships more times than could be desired. Sith deactivated his session at the tactical console, and left the Bridge.
Captain Archer
Jun 11 2003, 05:32 PM



Ambassador Michael Larkin - Larkin's Office

"You've got to help me with this Donald," Larkin pleaded with his old buddy from their days in high school.

"Michael believe me there is nothing I would rather do, but this goes way beyond you and me, this order was given by the highest levels of the Federation," Michael leaned back in his chair.

"If I can get enough people we should confront the Federation Council with this," Larkin said postulating.

"I'm sorry Michael, I'm not the person I once was," Donald said crestfallen.

"I guess not," Michael said and abruptly ended the transmission. He stared at the console and decided that he would take a walk, as he got up he looked out the window at Earth. Then proceeded to the turbolift.


The Deck


As Michael walked along the deck, he caught sight of Admiral Garrison "Admiral …Tom, may I join you?" Michael asked.

"Of course Michael, have a seat."

Larkin looked at the Admiral for a few moments before delivering the bad news, "Sir, I have been unable to get any of my contacts to help me with this, some of them even tried to act like they didn't know what I was talking about." Larkin stopped, looked down at the table. A waiter came up to him "I'll have a Scotch on the rocks, Admiral can I get you another drink?"

"Why not, besides I've got something to talk to you about that might peak your interest," Larkin looked at the Admiral and smiled.
Spork
Jun 12 2003, 01:36 PM



Lieutenant Commander Tanik - Starbase 001, Main Engineering

Tanik looked up at the huge Quantum Induction Core. Most Starfleet ships had this type of core, and this station was no exception. Only older and slower ships still had M/AM reaction systems. Like the Domtar. I hope they're alright.

"Sir?"

Tanik looked up out of his reverie.

"Is there something I can do for you, sir?" a young female ensign asked.

"Oh, no, thank you. I just decided to take a look at my future workspace before I leave." Tanik replied.

"Oh, O.K. I'm Ensign Sarah Shannon, I've been in charge of engineering during the crew transfer. I'll be your mate."

Tanik blinked. "I beg your pardon?"

"Engineer's mate... you know."

"Ah, yes." Tanik continued, a little bit of green flushing his cheeks. He tried to hide his embarrassment. "A pleasure to meet you, Ensign Shannon."

It seemed to work, as she did not notice it a bit, and kept smiling. "You too, sir... um..."

"Lieutenant Commander Tanik."

"Nice to meet you." She turned away, apparently leaving. As he turned away, he heard her voice again.

"Are you a Klingon?"

A nearby lieutenant looked up at this. Tanik forced a smile on his face. He turned around and faced her. "I am a Romulan." He stated with the most joviality he could muster. It wasn't much.

Her face fell, "Oh... uh... sorry." She turned away and went to the other side of the corridor, at her station.

The lieutenant shrugged and smiled, "Blondes..." Tanik turned away to consider this. He chuckled.

I REALLY need to get to the Pollux.
Kelly
Jun 12 2003, 02:42 PM



Commander Samantha Halliwell ~ Major's office

Major walked in before Halliwell and looked at her. "Please," he said pointing toward one of the chairs. "Sit."

She crossed her arms, an old habit of hers, and shook her head. "I'm fine standing sir."

He nodded. "Okay then, I, erm just wanted to welcome you aboard the station really," he began sitting down and crossing his legs, "I know you haven't had a chance to explore yet."

"A fault on my behalf," Halliwell commented nodding and finally decided to take a seat. "I missed the transport. I apologize."

"I'm not saying anything bad," Major replied noticing the defensive tone in her voice. "Just making conversation."

That's it David he thought, Bring her into conversation until you drop the bombshell on her. He decided to continue.

"You have a friend on the Domtar correct?" he said looking back up to her.

She shifted slightly in her seat. "That's right," she answered calmly. "What begs the question?"

Major stood up. "From what I can tell a good friend of yours."

"Yes sir," she replied quietly looking down. "Robert is a good friend. Known him for years. We used to be the bestest of friends."

Major put up a hand to stop her and came straight out with it. "That's the problem, Sam." He paused. "Is it alright to call you Sam?"

She shrugged. "Whatever goes with you, sir," she said back. "Why did you bring this up? What's the problem?"

"I think it would be best if you sat this one out." She stood up slowly and looked him in the eye and shook her head, "Sir?" she asked quietly.

"You heard me, Commander," he said quickly in response, "I think that it will cloud your judgment, whether you like it or not you are already emotionally involved."

She took a deep breath, "Why though? Are you scared I'm going to do something stupid?"

"No," he replied as calm as he thought he would be, he looked to her.

"Then why won't you let me go??"

Major walked over to her, "We have no idea what has happened? We have to assume the worse and I don't know if you'll be able to handle the situation."

She tightened her hands at her side, "Captain," she began, "I am a Starfleet officer, I am prepared for the worst possible situations and secondly I am a doctor, in med school you learn to make ration decisions, when a person's life is in your hands you must not hesitate, you have to be fully aware of the situation no matter what is going on, no matter who they are, friends or not," she paused to take a breath, if she wasn't as strong-willed Major thought she would have cried "And you stand here telling me that if Robert weren't there you'd be happy for me to go along?"

She finished and looked back to him, awaiting an answer.
tucker
Jun 13 2003, 01:13 PM



Captain David Major - CO's Office
  Giving in and getting out

David got up and walked around to the front of his desk. "Commander..." he paused suddenly changing his mind. "Very well," he nodded returning to his seat. "Prepare your things, we leave in 14 hours. Dismissed."

"Yes, sir," Samantha responded tuning around to leave. Just as she reached the door, David called out again.

"Commander!"

"Yes?" she turned around.

"I'm trusting you."

"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir." And with that, she was gone. David glanced down at the mess on his desk, hoping he had made the right decision. Shaking his head, he picked up a PADD and resumed work.


14 hours later - U.S.S. Pollux

Stepping out of the turbolift, David stopped in awe. This was the first time he had been on the bridge of the Pollux and he was overcome with awe. The entire ship was a masterpiece of beauty and functionality. Snapping back to reality, he made his way to the command chair, nodding to Samantha as he sat down. "Status?"

"Final pre-launch checklist completed, permission to leave received from starbase operations."

"Very well. Helm, begin launch" David ordered. The ship launched as the docking clamps gave way, and they began to move. Minutes later, they entered warp.
Joshua
Jun 13 2003, 05:03 PM



Ensign Rasin - Counseling Office
  Conspiracy Theories

"I do not trust the Romulan. I bet he is some Romulan spy!" said Ensign Baker.

"Now, please. That is just nonsense. He is a decorated Starfleet officer," Ensign Rasin reminded his fellow Ensign. "I am sure as you get to know Lieutenant Commander Tanik that you will trust him."

As Ensign Rasin was talking to his colleague he crossed his legs, trying to get comfortable in an oddly shaped chair.

"The other day he walked past me and just... smiled," retorted Ensign Baker

"If everyone who smiled at you was a spy, Jake, most of the women and even some of the men would be locked up in the brig," Othoniel said while chuckling at his joke.

"Please, Othoniel, ALL the women," Jake said as he started laughing.

"God its nice to still be able to joke around, a lot of the people around here are so rigid," noted the Ensign.

"Ya, it is," agreed Ensign Baker.

"So, is all of this with Lieutenant Commander Tanik over with or are you still going to be writing conspiracy theories about him for another 10 years?" inquired the Counselor

"Ya, I am over it, it just seems odd, I guess, I mean a Romulan!" Ensign Baker said as he was about to exit the office

"Ya, I know it, its odd alright, but who can explain all of the things that happen in life, there is a reason for this, I am sure of it," Ensign Rasin said almost inquiringly

"A reason? You believe in fate?" said the surprised Ensign as he took a step farther from the door.

Just as the Ensign was about to answer the question, Ensign Bakers comm badge bleeped.

"Please report to the science lab, Ensign, your assistance is required," the unfamiliar voice stated

"I'll tell ya about it later," said Othoniel.

"You better. Dinner tonight?"

"Sure, I'll keep my schedule clear," said Othoniel as he watched Jake begin to leave his office.

Othoniel walked towards his desk and re-examined the PADD that he was reading previously.
NightRanger
Jun 13 2003, 11:00 PM



Fleet Captain Drayson Hardgrove - Starbase 001, Admiral Garrison's office
  The evil we know is better than the one we don't

The view of the Gambit's transporter room changed to the view of a spacious office as Hardgrove looked around at the decor. Tapping his commbadge, he scrambled to a secure channel and activated it.

"Admiral Garrison. Please report to your office."

Not waiting for an answer he closed the channel quickly and dimming the lights slightly, Hargrove took the Admirals chair and waited.

As the Admirals doors parted Garrison stepped through in to the shadowy room. The doors quickly shut behind him and locked with a hiss. Garrison looked around his office thinking he had been set up until he heard a familiar voice for a second time.

"Tom?"

Garrison frowned, "Yes?"

Hardgrove spun the admirals chair around and faced him.

"Captain Hardgrove," he smirked. "I just returned from a meeting with the leaders of the unified systems. They're willing to talk. Our superiors are working out the details but I suggest we do our best to keep the Shipyards open. With the unified systems opening their boarders, they are going to need help defending it. I am currently on my way with a meeting with the Smugglers Coalition. Their leader is willing to help us gain trade routes and needed supplies. As well as aiding the Federation set up small operation bases."

Tossing Garrison a data rod, Hardgrove stood up from the chair and tapped his commbadge.

"I'll be in touch."

Hardgrove then transported out, leaving only the beams after sparkles behind.
RMrulz
Jun 13 2003, 11:51 PM



Admiral Tom Garrison - His office

"Computer, restore the lighting to its normal level," Tom requested. A moment later the lighting returned to normal, and he sat down behind his desk.

Stupid intelligence officers... they think they are so important. A fleet captain has the nerve to call me by my first name? That arrogant little.... He let his thoughts trail off, not wanting to dwell on the contempt he had been slowly building for Fleet Captain Drayson Hardgrove over the past several months. As arrogant and annoying a man he was, he was incredibly important to the Federation. His list of contacts seemed to have no end, and he was always finding a way to make some backwards deal that benefited the entire Federation. Tom had to admit he was a bit concerned about Hardgrove's tendency deal with outlaws... but these days he couldn't really complain, the Federation would take the help anywhere it could get it. All that mattered was that it remained a secret from the general population, the people had to continue to believe in the ideals of the Federation, or the entire system - or what was left of it, at least - would begin to crumble.

Sitting at his desk, he turned the data rod over and over in his hands. He wasn't really sure what it contained, probably a report on one of Hardgrove's latest deals... and he wasn't sure he wanted to read it either. Especially with what he had been considering himself lately, ever since the idea first came to him the other day while he was on The Deck.

He was startled out of his thoughts by a beeping sound. Putting down the data rod, he activated his holoterminal and saw he had an incoming message - from Admiral Jenco. The holoscreen activated, and a miniature version of the man who currently held the chair of Starfleet Command appeared on his desk.

"Tom. How are you."

Tom regarded his friend and mentor. "Miasha. I've been better, but I think you know that," he said curtly. Perhaps former friend is more accurate...

"Look, Tom, I'm sorry I've been avoiding you. But what did you expect? You know I'm opposed to shutting down Utopia Planitia, but my hands are tied on this one. The Federation Council itself voted on this one, and the vote passed by a narrow margin. I, and the rest of Command, can fight it all we want. But the vote has passed - it is final."

"Miasha, this does not sound like the man I once knew! You are legendary for your stubbornness, for your will and determination! What has gotten into you? Where is the man I was once proud to call my friend?"

A brief flash of anger passed across Jenco's face, he did not like hearing these words. He was not used to hearing them, most people would never speak that way to the most senior admiral in all of Starfleet. But with Tom it was different - he had taught Tom at the academy, he helped him rise through the ranks, always around to provide advice when needed. He looked at Tom as a son, and that was probably the only reason he would tolerate such words.

"Tom, I don't like your tone...."

"And I don't really care!"

"Tom! Don't forget your place. Friends or not, I am your superior."

Tom looked away for a minute, drawing a deep breath to calm himself. "You're right. I'm sorry. But Miasha, we can't just roll over on this one. If we allow Utopia Planitia to close down, that is sending such a clear signal. We are basically crying out 'Attack us now!' "

"Do you think I don't know that?"

"What about the Council? Surely they must realize the sort of signal this is sending out."

Miasha looked away for a minute, and when he looked back there was sadness in his eyes. "The Council? Between you and me, I think they are hoping this sends a message that they are not willing to fight, and that they are considering joining the Alliance."

"Are you serious? Joining the alliance is officially under consideration now?"

"No, no. Nothing like that. But there have been a great deal of rumblings, many people think we already lost. There is only so much an old man like myself can do."

"Miasha.... we have to fight this." There was desperation in Tom's voice now.

"I'm sorry Tom, I've done all I can. I'm an old man and I'm tired. I'm tired of fighting. I'm tired of losing."

Tom couldn't believe he was hearing his friend say these words. He turned around in his chair and stared out the window, several minutes of silence passing between them.

"Tom?"

He turned back to his desk. "You give up? Fine. But just remember, doing that makes you no better than the cowards on the council that don't see how horrible the Alliance is, and how joining it would destroy every ideal the Federation holds dear. You give up? Fine. I'll fight this alone." He hit a button, and Miasha disappeared. He sat there for a long moment, then punched the desk in anger.

He turned back around again, looking at the distant stars. It appeared the plan he started to develop earlier might have to be put into action after all. I just hope doing this won't be a mistake....
Kelly
Jun 14 2003, 03:33 AM



Commander Samantha Halliwell ~ U.S.S. Pollux

Halliwell had taken a seat at the science console for the time being, there was nothing else for her to do but just sit and wait, she liked to keep herself as busy as possible. Major glanced to her from his seat and turned to Sith, who was hard at work at tactical.

Halliwell had been quiet since they left, she hadn't taken her eyes off the console and had kept her head down, Anything to avoid conversation she thought. She turned to look into one of the scanners and shook her head, then tapped a few buttons. "Commander."

She turned back towards Major. "Captain?"

"When we arrive, if," he paused re-thinking his words... Don't get all negative on the crew yet. "When we find the Domtar," he paused again at the look on her face, he turned back towards the front, he had to turn away. "Doesn't matter," he whispered.

Halliwell looked at him confused but remained silent.

"Ensign," he said to the helmsman. "How long until we arrive at the estimated co-ordinates?"

"About an hour sir," he replied, "Maybe a little less."

"Thank you," Major replied and looked down to a PADD in his hand.
Hawku
Jun 14 2003, 08:40 AM




Lieutenant Rune Sith - U.S.S. Pollux, Bridge

"Captain, we are approaching Old Neutral Zone..." one of the helmsmen, Ensign Lorenzo, reported.

Sith checked his console, moving holographic shapes around, simultaneously tapping at them and making hovering buttons appear and disappear. The tactical console popped up a hailing button and Sith moved the weapons button out of the way and checked the external scans, ship ID, and hailing devices.

The Pollux sped through a transwarp conduit. Two hours ago they had upgraded their speed to save time.

"Captain, we're getting a hail from a... Klingon Bird of Prey?" Sith reported.

"Origin," Captain Major requested.

"At the end of the conduit." Sith moved the ship ID button to the side having been done with it.

Major nodded, and Sith activated the hovering viewscreen. A really old, skinny starving Klingon war veteran in his own filth, shoved a couple hanging decorative bones out of the way and peered into his viewscreen.

"You fools! Turn back now. It's already too late for your transport vessel!"

Major and Halliwell glanced at each other. This was not your average Klingon, he was obviously one of the few who escaped the Empire a Century ago after their fatal War with the Alliance. That's where the last of the ancient Bird of Prey's were used. He appeared alone on this ship. His failed generational crew dead of starvation.

"The Domtar? What do you know of it?" Captain Major inquired, fearing the worst.

"I saw them. I saw what they did. Turn your vessel around if you wish to live! Not even transwarp speeds will stop them!" The old Klingon rattled with a small hint of schizophrenia.

"What-- what did you see!?" Captain Major wanted this information now.

The Klingon started rocking back and forth as if mentally insane. "Beware... beware..." He looked to the side, totally out of it.

Captain Major stopped, realizing this. "I'm sorry." He felt for the Klingon. "Cut communications."

A silence filled the Bridge for a moment, so many thoughts to make.

The Pollux dropped transwarp, out into normal space. They slowly passed by the badly damaged Bird of Prey and headed out into the distance. The old man's fate was already drawn.

Sith's bored android spider moved from his shoulder to his forearm. Sith scanned the area. "Captain, I'm picking up the Domtar..."
Spork
Jun 14 2003, 01:03 PM



Lieutenant Commander Tanik - U.S.S. Pollux, Bridge

Tanik stepped out onto the bridge to assess the situation. An ancient K'Vort-class Bird of Prey passed by on the viewscreen, adrift and dead.

"Where is it?" Captain Major asked Lieutenant Sith.

"40,000 Kilometers to port, sir," Sith answered.

"What do you make of it?"

Sith hesitated. "No life signs, sir."

There was an audible silence on the bridge. Worst case scenario, Tanik thought silently.

After a few minutes, Captain Major spoke up, "Take us to her, helmsman."

"Aye, sir," the Ensign at the helm responded.


Several Minutes Later


The Domtar appeared on screen. It was perfectly intact.

"What the... what could have happened to them?" Commander Halliwell asked.

Everyone on the bridge was perplexed. Tanik's head shot up, a sense of dread visible on his face. "Commander, scan the area for high frequency tachyon particles."

Commander Halliwell looked up, somewhat surprised. She looked at the Captain, as if awaiting his permission.

"Go ahead," Major said, also some surprise evident in his voice.

Halliwell's fingers moved the holo-buttons rapidly. "I'm picking up localized small tachyon disturbances. What are you getting at, Commander?"

"Display a three-dimensional graphic of the disturbances on the screen," Tanik said, driven.

The graphic came on screen. Everyone gasped.

It was in the shape of a Romulan Warbird.
tucker
Jun 14 2003, 03:18 PM



Captain David Major - U.S.S. Pollux, Bridge

David got out of his chair. "Romulans," he growled. "Commander. Scan the area. Are there any more ships nearby?"

Samantha's hands worked the controls. "I'm not detecting any sir, but our tachyon beam only stretches at most 100 kilometers. They could be out there and we just can't see them."

Major stared at the viewscreen, deep in thought. "They've obviously detected us, so why aren't they doing anything?"

"They most likely think that we can't see them" Tanik responded. "I doubt they think we're currently a threat to them."

"Is there any way you can disable their cloaking device?" the Lt. Cmdr. thought for a moment and then responded.

"We could try a sustained dolamide burst. I would penetrate their cloak and they would have to drop it to purge their nacelles."

"Do it." David sat back down in his chair. "Let's see what they're up to. Red Alert!"

"The burst is ready sir."

"Proceed."

Suddenly the viewscreen filled with a blue light, dissipating to reveal a the Romulan ship, but of a class David had never seen before. "Report!" he called to Samantha.

"It's Romulan alright, but of a class that's not in the Federation database. Our scans can't penetrate the hull."

"They're raising sheilds and powering weapons!" cried out Tanik. On the viewscreen, the ship turned around heading straight for the Pollux. The ship shook violently as a green burst of energy hit them. "Direct hit, port nacelle. Shields at 75 percent."

"Return fire!' shouted David as he held on to avoid falling out of his chair.

"No effect."

"Captain!" Samantha called. "They seem to have some sort of kedion sheilding!"

"What? David questioned. "That's… impossible!"

"They're coming back for an attack run!" The ship lurched again. "That last one took out shield totally offline!" Tanik shouted.

"Get them back online!" David shouted.

"Sir!" a crewman at helm cried out. "They're leaving!" Major looked at the screen and saw it was true. The Romulan ship had turned around and went to warp."

"Follow them!"

"We can't sir. Their last shot knocked out our port nacell as well, we're venting plasma" reported Tanik.

Daivd swore. "Commander, keep a sensor lock on them as long as you can." He turned to an engineering crewman. "I want that nacelle up and running ASAP. Lt. Tanik? In my ready room. Now."

Major stormed off the Bridge.